Newsletter July 2013
It’s here at last – the Final Release 4.2 is online! We announced back in March that new things were on the horizon – and now they have arrived. Read on to find out what has become of the “spring awakening” in the source code.
The Swiss Post Office sought a legally conform, digital method of filing its documents “ad acta” and is now supported by the PDF Document Converter, whilst Unico Data uses the PDF Producer for efficient and error-free conversion of their SaaS clients’ documents. Both are examples of successful projects in the field of long-term document storage where the right strategies have overcome the challenges. The article in DOK.magazin penned by Hans Bärfuss provides insights on tapping into the (un)recognized potential of PDF/A.
We hope you enjoy reading the articles.
We will be pleased to be of help if you require further information on PDF Tools and its products but are unable to find it online. Please get in touch with us via
Final Release 4.2
PDF Tools AG is releasing Version 4.2 of every product in the 3‑Heights™ and Classic family. This version incorporates numerous extensions and improvements to the existing products and introduces new components and tools. As in the past, this version is available free of charge to every customer with a maintenance agreement.
Some of the innovative highlights of this version:
- The 3‑Heights™ Signature Creation and Verification Service enables the centralized creation and verification of digital signatures. The advantage here is that private keys no longer have to be distributed as they can now be stored and managed at a safe location. Furthermore, Internet access is no longer required for creating a signature – an interesting feature, especially with regard to safe Intranet applications. The product could also be of interest to online service providers.
- The 3‑Heights™ PDF Viewer .NET WPF Control adds a further variant to the range of PDF viewer components. It is a very simple method of adding a PDF viewer to applications that use .NET WPF technology. The control fits seamlessly into the GUI and is controlled and queried by the application via a lean API.
The following count among the most significant extensions and improvements to existing products in this version:
- New Office add-in for the 3‑Heights™ Document Converter: the new add-in converts Word documents and emails in Outlook at the touch of a button.
- New installation program for the 3‑Heights™ Producer: the command line program has numerous functions that automate the distribution of software to customers.
- Time stamp signatures with 3‑Heights™ Security Tool: it is now possible to create pure time stamp signatures in addition to personal digital signatures.
- OMR marking with the 3‑Heights™ PDF Printer: the PDF Printer tool now features a simple method of applying OMR markings, e.g. for package control.
Please see the Release Notes for detailed information.
Success Story Unico Data AG, Switzerland
Efficient PDF conversion with 3‑Heights™ PDF Desktop Producer and Assembler in a SaaS solution
“We were able to rely on uncomplicated and professional support during project implementation. Creating PDF documents is a real pleasure now the new solution is in place. I was astonished at the high performance underlying the creation of documents. We can also use the PDF/A format for long-term document storage that ensures documents cannot be changed. That is a real advantage to us.”
Toni Hossmann, Managing Director,
Unico Data AG
The OpenSource PDF technology previously in use was no longer able to support the new operating system. Conformance with PDF standards was poor and support services were also inadequate. Unico Data therefore went in search of a reliable partner for issues relating to PDF archiving. Their requirements included uncomplicated access to the Helpdesk, quick and easy generation of PDF documents, support for Terminal Services (Citrix, etc.) and extendibility via interface.
Find out more about this success story and howUnico Data AG secures the PDF conversion via 3‑Heights™ PDF Producer and Assembler
Success Story PostFinance AG, Switzerland
Legally conform, digital archiving with 3‑Heights™ Document Converter in the AD ACTA solution
“As the project was predominantly intended to implement regulatory requirements, it was important to us to have the project and subsequent operations managed by a trustworthy and reliable partner who is familiar with the needs of the financial sector and can develop the product range accordingly. The support we received was exemplary and highly competent. Our queries were addressed very quickly with outstanding customer orientation and competence. The product fulfils our specifications and is well-documented.”
Michael Rumpf, Archive Manager,
PostFinance decided to develop the “AD ACTA” solution within the scope of archive redevelopment to enable the digital long-term storage of internal documents that are not directly related to the provision of services. AD ACTA serves the purposes of archiving, filing, sharing and locating internal documents and is used for documents subject to mandatory archiving and/or of relevance to business. The solution ensures legally conform digital archiving and fulfils the service provider’s regulatory requirements concerning document administration and storage.
The complete success story how the3‑Heights™ Document Converter supports legally conform, digital archiving in the PostFinance AG
Product details to 3‑Heights™ Document Converter
Technical Conference North America 2013
August 14–15, 2013,
Seattle, Washington, USA
Further Information to the Technical Conference of PDF Association
September 24–26, 2013,
Messe Stuttgart, Germany
more Information about DMS EXPO
NEW CUSTOMERS @PDF Tools AG
Coextant Systems International AG, Germany
3‑Heights™ PDF to PDF/A Converter
INCOM Information & Communications, Korea
3‑Heights™ Image to PDF Converter
3‑Heights™ PDF Optimization
Internad Limited, Hong Kong
3‑Heights™ PDF Merge Split
Naylor LLC, USA
3‑Heights™PDF Prep Tool Suite
Digital born PDF/A – tough nut or (un)recognized potential?
Scanned documents have been archived successfully in PDF/A format for more than six years. However, the attitude towards archiving digitally created documents is more reserved. What are the reasons?
Promotion of young professionals
PDF Tools AG offers internships and an opportunity to write a thesis to graduates of the ETH Zurich. The company actively promotes young professionals and enables students to benefit from practical experience that will stand them in good stead as they embark on their career.
PDF Tools AG is participating in the amiv job fair taking place on 21 & 22 October 2013 and also in the Campus Interview of ETH Juniors on 26 October 2013. Both events are organized by the ETH Zurich and will take place in Zurich.
For further Information please visit our landing page for ETH students (German)