Newsletter July 2012
PDF Tools AG releases version 4.0 of all products of the 3‑Heights™ and Classic family. This version again contains numerous enhancements and improvements to existing products and introduces new components and tools. As usual, the new version is made available to all customers with a valid maintenance contract at no costs.
The release introduces the following new components and tools:
- The 3‑Heights™ PDF Producer, in particular the port monitor, can now be controlled via an API. This allows for easier integration of the component into applications.
- The set of supported OCR engines has been extended to Tesseract 3.01.
- A new set of command line tools to process TIFF files has been developed as part of our document conversion solution. They provide functions such as the merging, splitting, compression (incl. MRC) and OCR recognition.
The most important enhancements and improvements to the existing products with this version include, but are not limited to:
- This release introduces a new license management using license keys for its 3‑Heights™ and Classic product family. It is a well-known technology in the commercial software market. The licensing model itself does not change. However, the use of the license management will simplify the licensing process for the customer. In particular the evaluation version of the software is no longer required. For evaluation purposes there is a special evaluation license key available.
- The Classic and 3‑Heights™ family of products have been merged into a single product line. They will now be maintained, produced and released in a common process.
- The 3‑Heights™ PDF Security has been enhanced with many useful features. It is now possible to select certificates in three different ways, and the embedding of revocation information has been improved, to name just a few.
More detailed information is contained in the Release Notes.
Success story IREKS GmbH, Kulmbach, Germany
Automated printer management for PDF documents in new sales software using the 3‑Heights™ PDF Printer
IREKS GmbH, founded in 1856, is a world-leading manufacturer of baking ingredients and brewing malt. Previously at IREKS GmbH, the processing of orders from acquisition through to invoicing was accomplished using the internal IT department’s RPG applications. All documents, for example delivery notices and invoices were created and printed using IBM System‑i. For the future, the existing applications should be replaced by a new user-friendly and Window-based sales software solution.